To do this activity you are invited to watch the video 4 Types Parenting Styles (4.24 minutes).
In this video you will find information on the four main types of parenting styles:
- Permissive: parents consent to too much of their children’s behaviours and wishes
- Authoritarian: parents like to control too much of their children’s behaviour
- Authoritative or Democratic: parents guide their children and set clear limits and consequences to their behaviour
- Uninvolved or Negligent: parents are passive to their children’s behaviour
After watching the video read the four family cases below and identify for each case:
- The parenting style which, according to you, matches them the best.
- The specific parenting reactions to their children’s behaviour in each family’s case
- The consequences you think that parenting style in each family case might have on the child.
- How parents could improve their parenting style. What they could do?
Moreover, think about:
- Which parenting style do you remember your parents have usually shown when you were a child.
- Whether your present parenting style with your children resembles that of your parents. What do you think is your parenting style?